This area contains my teaching philosophy, Vita, dissertation summary, research agenda, as well as current and past research projects.
Teaching and Research Documents
Other Pages in the Academia Area
Selected Projects and Scholarly Presentations
- "Participatory Civic Engagement: Theory, Research, and Pedagogy in Social Justice and College-Community Relationships." Presetnation from the 2013 Commitment To Justice in Jesuit Higher Education Conference.
- “Mixed-Methods Usability Research as Design Model and Teaching Tool.” Presentation from the 2013 CCCC..
- “Participatory Civic Engagement: Usability Research Methods as a Model for Connected Knowing.” Presentation from the 2012 International Association for Research in Service-Learning and Community Engagement Conference.
- “Participatory Civic Engagement: Usability Research as a Methodology for Building College-Community Relationships.” Presentation from the 2012 CCCC.
- “Writing with Number Crunchers: Building Academic-Industry Collaboration with Accounting Firms.” Presentation from the 2011 Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication.
- “Iso-what?: Epistemology, Taxonomy, and Performance in Isocrates and Civic Engagement.” Presentation from the 2011 CCCC.
- “Harbors and Seas: The Both/And of Writing Center Work.” Keynote Address from the 2010 International Writing Center Association-National Conference on Peer Tutoring in Writing Conference.
- Dissertation Project: Community Writing and Education Station - CWEST.
- "The Usability of Content Management Systems: Expanding Concepts of Users and Sustainable Knowledge Work." Presentation from the 2010 Computers and Writing Conference with Elizabeth Angeli and Jeffrey Bacha.
- "Mixing Research and Engagement: Using Empirical Methods to Rethink, Revise, and Renew College-Community Connections." Presentation from the 2010 CCCC with Jaclyn Wells.
- "College-Community Partnerships: Designing a Sustainable and Participatory Literacy Program." Presentation at the Research Network Forum from the 2010 CCCC.
- "Engaging Community Networks: The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Initiative and Technical Communication Pedagogy." Presentation from the 2009 ATTW.
- "Writing Centers as Bridges to Engagement: Strategies for Fostering College-Community Partnerships." Presentation at the IWCA Workshop from the 2009 CCCC with Jaclyn Wells.
- "Growing Community Connections: Writing Center Engagement and Public Scholarship." Presentation from the 2009 ECWCA Conference with Jaclyn Wells.
- "Whom Do You Serve?: Public Rhetorics as Process for College-Community Partnerships." Presentation from the 2008 invited lecture at Virginia Tech, "Professional Writers Live After VT."
- "Community Writing and Education Station (CWEST): A Sustainable and Participatory Literacy Partnership with the Lafayette Adult Resource Academy (LARA)." Presentation from the 2008 CCCC with Jaclyn Wells.
- "Accessing OWLs: Writing Center Usability Testing with Blind and Low-Vision Users" (OWL Usability Research G3, G4). Presentation from the 2008 CCCC with Dana Driscoll, Michael Salvo, and Morgan Sousa.
- Purdue OWL Usability Project, 2008.
- "Sustaining Writing Center Technologies Through User-Centered Design: Improving Websites and OWLs." Preconference Workshop from the 2008 CCCC with Tammy Conard-Salvo, Dana Driscoll, and Morgan Sousa.
- "Praxis and the Purdue OWL: Putting the OWL to Work for Local Literacy and Engagement." Presentation from the 2008 ECWCA Conference.
- "Redesigning an OWL: Usability Testing for Writing Centers." Presentation from the 2007 CCCC with Michael Salvo, Tammy Condard-Salvo, Dana Lynn Driscoll, Morgan Sousa.
- "Bringing a Broad Base of Users into the Project: Web-based Remote Usability Testing of the Purdue OWL." Technology workshop at the Computer Connection from the 2007 CCCC with Michael Salvo, Tammy Conard-Salvo, Dana Driscoll, and Morgan Sousa.
- "Using Stasis Theory to Foster Critical, Collaborative Citizenship." Presentation from the 2007 Language and Rhetoric of Citizenship Conference, University of Michigan.
- Redesigning an OWL: Usability Testing for Writing Centers." From the Purdue University Teaching and Learning with Technology Conference with Michael Salvo, Tammy, Conard-Salvo, Dana Driscoll, Morgan Sousa, and Karl Stolley.
- "Expert and Apprentice: Hybrid Identities for Graduate Students." Presentation from the 2006 Computers and Writing Conference.
- "Fund Raising on the Internet for Non-Profit Organizations." Presentation from the 2001 Virginia Service-Learning Conference.
For a complete list of projects and publications, download my Vita in PDF.